Monday, April 14, 2008

random run-in

A friend of mine was in town last week to celebrate his birthday. He had left LA for a few years now so it was also a reunion/gathering of sorts. The event went down at the pirate bar Downtown (The Redwood) so that was an added bonus since I'd been meaning to check it out. I had heard so much about it and had envisioned it to be this setting where I walk in and there is some enclosed body of water and I have to walk up a plank to get to the actual pirate boat bar! Alas, it was nothing like what I had dreamed it would be but it was fun nonetheless. Still, I think my idea is pretty sweet.

The birthday boy is a manager and I had known he managed an acapella group but never knew much about it. Night goes on and I meet the different members of the group (George and Paul mainly) and I kept hearing about a Phil and a Sam. Heard they were on Scrubs but still didn't think much of it. They were going to sing Happy Birthday acapella so I was excited. "Phil is on his way but Sam is here". I look over and see Sam at the bar and the guys call him over so that I could meet him. Turns out Sam is "Ted" from Scrubs! I watch Scrubs but not enough to be super familiar with the ins and outs but I knew who Ted was and it all made sense. The Acapella group is that same one on the show! "Ted's Band" (or The Blanks in real life). So weird but so cool!





(The Blanks serenade Sloaty-pie)


(Paul, Sam, and I)


(Adam Sloat and I)

3 comments:

Mars said...

Thank you for posting that. That made it even more awesome. Did you like how the booths were made from sail? I only saw the main room, did you see the back rooms? How are you darling?

Liza P. said...

Yes, I did notice the booths. Very cool stuff. And I love the chandeliers made out of.....boat wheel? haha what is the word!

I am doing well. We should hang out this week. Or I may throw a party soon...I will let you know.

Anonymous said...

I just saw this! LOL. Best part - the Pirate Band! oh lawd... actually, I loved them. But that's me.... So glad you were there!