Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Good and The Bad


My boss had blogged about watching a Diane Sawyer interview he watched on Dr. Pausch, a 47 year old Carnegie Mellon professor who is dying of Pancreatic cancer. In the interview, Dr. Pausch is shown tucking his kids into bed and each night he asks them what the best thing about their day was and the worst.

I don't know many people who, at the end of their day, reflect on how their day went. I was, however, reminded of when I would go over the "mitzvah" I did that day before I went to bed and sometimes would talk about it on the phone with my sister during afternoon talks. A mitzvah, by the way, is "a good deed" in Hebrew. And no, I am NOT Jewish, just a pretend one.

Anyway, I guess that is similar to the "best and worst" nightly reflection. So, what was the best thing about my day today? Hmmm that is a tough one. I mean, my day went rather smoothly, I lunched with one of my favourite former co-workers...but I think the thing I would nominate is that I had an amazing 1-on-1 meeting with my boss. We have these bi-weekly sit downs and I do remember walking out of his office smiling because it was a good talk, very inspiring, got me excited about things again!

The worst? Hmmmm another tough one. I didn't have a shitty day, really. If I had to choose...I get really hard on myself about not being able to "do" alot of things or I do something but then I should've carried it out a step or two further. It's a very defeating feeling, the "Damn, I should've done that! Why didn't I think of that first? I thought of that but why didn't I go through with it??" I had a few moments of that today. So I guess that was a "worst". That and still having this cold/cough. I just want it to be over!

What was your best and worst today?

1 comments:

Brenda Gomez said...

"And no, I am NOT Jewish, just a pretend one."

ME TOO!!!


*worst: waking up late &missing class; bad restaurant experience.

*best: you updating &feeling better! &getting a thank-you email from atom boyd for homemade enchiladas <3